Front teeth extension
Patients turn to dentists with a desire to correct defects when front teeth cracks and chips do not add attractiveness to their look. An innovative and effective solution for this problem is the build-up of the teeth. Composite materials are used only if no more than 30% of the patient's teeth are damaged. If the tooth is badly destroyed, a pin is used. The procedure is completely safe for adjacent teeth since there is no physical impact on them
Teeth extension is a whole range of activities. Materials and methods vary, and the doctor makes the final decision based on the specific situation. It's not only about the aesthetic appeal but also about preserving the functions and health of the dentition.
Dentists of the Smile Factor clinic, thanks to their experience and the use of only high-quality durable materials in their work, return attractive smiles to patients.
The extension of the front teeth differs in technique from the extension of the molars and requires a different approach, accuracy, and a certain set of skills.
Ways to build up
Our doctors perform restoration in different ways, which differ depending on the material used:
- standard restoration (composite, photopolymer);
- on the pin.
The extension of the chipped front tooth using composite materials is carried out in several stages:
- initial inspection and selection of materials;
- cleaning from plaque and insulation with special pads;
- application of the composite in layers, each is dried by a lamp with ultraviolet radiation;
- correction and polishing necessary to give the tooth the desired shape and natural appearance.
Restoration with composite and photopolymers is indicated with minor damages, chips, and cracks. The photopolymer is reliable and durable and retains color for a long time.
The extension of the front tooth to the pin is indicated in cases when the root is healthy, the tooth is significantly destroyed and there is nothing to attach the composite material to. The pin is made of fiberglass or titanium.
Stages of the procedure:
- Initial examination;
- X-ray to exclude the presence of cysts;
- cleaning and removal of fillings;
- installing the pin and applying the composite material, as in the first case, in layers;
- shaping the tooth to the desired shape, polishing.
This method is considered less reliable than just polymer buildup since a doctor has to work with an almost completely destroyed tooth, but in any case, it is always better to try to save your tooth than lose it altogether, because then you will need a prosthesis.
When it is possible and when it is impossible to do the build-up
As with any other dental procedure, restoration has indications and contraindications.
It is indicated when there are:
- significant interdental spaces;
- highly noticeable deformations;
- cracks and chips that are visible to the naked eye (in this case, it is not only the unaesthetic smile but also the risk of harm to health);
- enamel color change;
- wear a natural crown;
- deep carious cavities.
Contraindications to the procedure:
- almost destruction of the tooth when the root is already affected;
- the presence of allergies to materials (which is extremely rare);
- bruxism (teeth grinding). In this case, the risk of new injuries is high.
Pros and cons of dental extensions
The negative aspects of the procedure are much less, and those that exist are insignificant. Many people believe that is an expensive procedure, so the first question patients ask our consultants is: "How much does front teeth extension cost?". We immediately debunk a myth with the proviso that the price directly depends on the number of teeth requiring treatment and the materials selected.
From the positive points:
- a complete restoration of one tooth and the entire dentition.
- The excellent cosmetic effect is achieved due to the materials' durability and ability to fully adapt to the natural color of the patient's enamel. It is really difficult to determine whether any procedures were carried out or not because the joint of the native tooth and the extended one is completely invisible.
- Durability. Restored teeth can withstand daily loads on par with the rest. With proper care, they will last for decades.
- The procedure does not take much time. Several teeth can be restored at one time.
- Environmentally friendly materials that do not cause allergies.
- The price for the extension of the front teeth is much lower than for prosthetics.
There are almost no disadvantages. The doctor's qualification, the quality of selected material, individual characteristics of the patient’s organism, and the caring attitude of the person to his health can affect the life of the extended tooth. Someone's tooth will last for 10-20 years, and someone will not last for five years. It is essential to follow a diet, not to give heavy loads to the restored teeth, and protect them from mechanical damage (blows). There is a risk that, for example, when falling, the tooth will break off again.
If, after a few years, the teeth will begin to crumble or collapse, the restoration procedure can be carried out again.
Why should you do tooth extensions with us?
The specialists of the "Smile Factor" clinic have the appropriate qualifications, many years of experience and guarantee their work.
The doctor will tell you the cost of the tooth after the first consultation. Only environmentally friendly materials and innovative approaches are used. The clinic is always clean and sterile, and patients wait in a pleasant, homely atmosphere. Our specialists try to minimize unpleasant sensations using the latest anesthetics. Our specialists will consult and record you on a convenient date and time.